US Declares BLA & Majeed Brigade Terrorist Groups

Pakistan Hails Decision as Diplomatic Victory

NATIONALINTERNATIONAL

8/13/20252 min read

Pakistan Welcomes US Decision to Designate BLA and Majeed Brigade as Terrorist Organizations

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has applauded the United States for officially adding the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and its suicide wing, the Majeed Brigade, to its Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) list — a move hailed as a significant step in counter-terrorism cooperation between the two countries.

The US State Department made the announcement on Monday, with President Donald Trump underscoring that the decision reflects Washington’s commitment to fighting global terrorism.

According to a statement by Pakistan’s Foreign Office (FO), the Majeed Brigade has been on Pakistan’s own list of banned outfits since July 18, 2024, while the BLA was proscribed back in 2006 under the National Counter-Terrorism Authority (NACTA) framework.

Terror Attacks Linked to BLA and Majeed Brigade

The FO statement noted that the two groups have been responsible for multiple deadly attacks across Pakistan, including:

  • Jaffar Express attack (March 2025): Claimed by the BLA, killing 26 hostages.

  • Khuzdar school bus bombing (May 2025): Suicide attack killing 10 people, including two students.

  • Karachi airport attack (2024): Three killed, including two Chinese nationals.

  • Gwadar Port Authority Complex assault: Eight Pakistani soldiers martyred.

“These groups have carried out heinous acts of violence, targeting civilians, security personnel, and strategic infrastructure,” the FO emphasized.

Pakistan’s Stance and Diplomatic Gains

The FO reaffirmed that Pakistan remains a “steadfast bulwark against terrorism”, with sacrifices that have delivered critical counter-terrorism successes not only for the country but for regional and global stability.

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi hailed the US move as a “major diplomatic victory”, thanking President Trump and his administration. He described it as recognition of Pakistan’s immense sacrifices in the global fight against terrorism and said it paves the way for international action against the BLA and Majeed Brigade.

PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari also welcomed the decision, noting that such militant groups deliberately target innocent civilians and workers in Balochistan. He recalled that during past conflicts, the BLA and Majeed Brigade publicly supported Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi — a point now indirectly acknowledged by the US designation.

Bilawal further stressed the need to push for a United Nations listing of these groups to cut off international funding channels, particularly those linked to Indian intelligence networks.

Role of Military Diplomacy

Citing security sources, state media reported that Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir’s recent visit to the United States played a decisive role in the designation. His high-level military diplomacy reportedly exposed India’s alleged involvement in state-sponsored terrorism and reinforced Pakistan’s position on regional security.

Sources said the US decision to blacklist the groups as FTOs is “direct international validation of Pakistan’s stance”, warning that India’s covert terror activities remain a serious threat to both regional stability and global peace.

Background on the Designations

Pakistan had earlier requested that the Majeed Brigade be formally recognised as an international terrorist organisation. While the US labelled the BLA as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) in 2019 — making it illegal for anyone in the US to provide support — the Majeed Brigade was not added at that time.

The FTO designation, under Section 219 of the US Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), is designed to cut off resources to terrorist groups and pressure them to abandon militancy.
The SDGT designation, under Executive Order 13224, targets individuals and entities engaged in terrorism, even if they are not part of a formally recognised organisation.